Sunday, February 24, 2008

Thoughts on prayer--use a timer?



At stake conference yesterday, much was said on prayer and its importance.

For me, I find it easier to read my scriptures daily than I do to have a meaningful conversation with Deity. I don't know if it is because I feel being introspective in this way is less productive or I am more academic and enjoy the actual doing of things intellectually, but I have to find a way to get more out of my prayers and meaningfully converse with my Father in Heaven.

I have heard many people say that Yoga is a form of introspection and serves as a prayer-like ritual for them. I am not advocating one form of prayer over another, but I do think it is important to create a relationship with God so that we feel comfortable in his presence and have his Spirit to be with us.

One thing I might try is having a timer with me when I pray. Although this might seem somewhat artificial and less than genuine at first, I will know I have time set aside for speaking what is in my mind and have a personal PPI with deity. Over time the timer will not be needed, but to make sure I have time carved out for this important spiritual aspect, the timer idea may be needed. Quality of quantity is the key, but knowing that time is set aside helps you speak the things of your heart.

We learned yesterday from Elder Bruce Porter that "being too busy is a sin." I believe that. The timer might help me slow down . . .